"To the impartial eye, the world not only seems an unlikely one-off phenomenon, but a constant strain on reason. If reason exists, that is, if a neutral reason exists. So speaks the voice from within. So speaks Joker's voice." - Jostein Gaarder

Monday, December 01, 2008

Their Golan

Syrian Bloggers decided to initiate a Blogging week about the Golan.

Here is my participation,

To be honest, I find it rather funny and comical, how all of Syria suddenly decided to remember this Golan a few years ago. Everyone at the same time seems to have gotten this divine message on how we are entitled to the Golan.

Are we entitled to the Golan?

Tell me, how are we entitled to that land?

We betrayed it. We (collectively) let it succumb to our enemy, we let its people down and we lost them their homes, their lands, and their families. We were the ones who turned its people into Nazeheen (refugees). We are the ones who left them in the most dire of situations, and continued watching our Maraya. We are the ones who turned our backs on them after we lost them their homeland, and we are the ones who continue to ignore their plight, and leave them living in the slums. We are the ones who continue to treat them like second-class citizens. And we were the ones who also turned a deaf ear to the plight of their courageous families who decided to stay in that land. We were the ones who ignored it for years on end, and then decided to dust it out of the box when we found it politically viable.

You and I, can lay no claim to the Golan. We have no moral right to that land.

But make no mistake; that land belongs, and will always do, to the brave men and women who stayed there, and refused to give away their ID cards for 40 years. It belongs to the disenfranchised and poverty-stricken generations of Nazeheen. Those who were thrown out of their homes, into this pathetic excuse for a homeland. They, and only they, can lay claim to that land.

They lay claim to the land, and they lay claim to our conscience.

We own not a single stone in that land, rather, we owe it to them.

Nevertheless, just as much as we have no moral claim to it, we have a moral responsibility to bring it back to them, kiss their foreheads and ask for forgiveness.

9 Comments:

Anonymous علوش said...

they say coming late is better than never do, I see these signals as a good sign of a better healthy community.

and by the way, change the Golan to Gaza and you will see the same article fits.

Yazan, I do agree with you, but I think we can do something, at least this, give your people a chance ya ZALAMEH.

It's not my fault if the other WE forgot Golan, I never forgot this land, I feel weak and helpless, yes, but at least I do feel and honor the people of Golan.

"I find it rather funny and comical, how all of Syria suddenly decided to remember this Golan a few years ago."

You from all the people should knew what silence means.

Silence is not a sign of acceptance, I can't tell you how I feel inside my chest every time i watch the news, it's like something burning, I want to cry but i can't, you want to scream but you can't, you want to do something, you just switch the channel, and tell your self, no more News.

Now I can speak out my mind at least in a Blogging week, give me a chance Yazan!.

"we have a moral responsibility to bring it back to them, kiss their foreheads and ask for forgiveness."

مختصر الحديث.

أنا
مالي
نسيان
ولا رح أنسى

I consider the last lines of your post that you are in, i will wait your post about Golan ;).

December 01, 2008 6:45 AM

 
Blogger Yazan said...

Alloush my friend,

Don't take it personally. I don't mean that we are responsible personally. Obviously, we couldn't have done anything about it even if we wanted to. But, collectively, as a people, as inhabitants and citizens of this country, yes we are responsible for their misery.

Ofcourse it's a good sign to have people remembering our Golan, but they need to also remember that it is not about the land, but about the people of the Golan. The Golan is worth nothing to me without its people. Its people are the long forgotten ones, who nobody seems to recall, or even want to think of.

December 01, 2008 11:54 AM

 
Blogger Batoul A. said...

I am one of the "naz7een"...
My mother was asked to evacuate the house yet there wasn't even war rage yet... but then, she was never welcomed back into her home again. Only what she took out is what left with her (to which was nothing).

My father fought the war.

When they moved to Damascus, they were given hardship and looked down upon.

But with this all.... It still remains that we are one. And if my parents as the "victims" are still living and loving the air of that beautiful city, then ANYONE could accept the strive to brining Golan back with pride.

No shame in bettering ones-self. You just need to look at it in a different way... Starting from this point and moving along to bring back what was always meant to be for us anyway ;]

Bless Syria and its people.

December 01, 2008 3:28 PM

 
Blogger Yazan said...

Dear Batoul,

I am not simply lashing myself because I enjoy it, I am stating a fact that many Syrians are unaware of. Many Syrians are unaware of how bad we've treated Nazeheen, how little we've given them.

The mere fact that your parents had to leave the country, like many others, should be an warning bell.

There's a lot to be said about the Naksa, there was a lot of treason involved, in Jordan, Syria and Egypt... Unfortunately, most of those involved are still in power, or at least a continuum of them. I hope someday we will hear the real story behinf that war.

All the best,

December 01, 2008 4:23 PM

 
Anonymous علوش said...

Yazan Said: "but they need to also remember that it is not about the land, but about the people of the Golan"

Batoul Said: "But with this all.... It still remains that we are one. And if my parents as the "victims" are still living and loving the air of that beautiful city, then ANYONE could accept the strive to brining Golan back with pride."

Yazan said: "Many Syrians are unaware of how bad we've treated Nazeheen, how little we've given them."

The Ideas you [Both of you] are pointing here are magnificent, I can't imagine seeing these ideas which they are deeply related to Syrians from the street level to the Academy level and not translated, I do have thoughts about what you said, but you have the Ideas well organized.

I think I know now what I'm going to write about in Arabic ;) .

December 01, 2008 8:16 PM

 
Blogger Batoul A. said...

Yazan, I understand clearly what you're trying to point out here.. In fact, I too, want the real story to be uncovered and believe theres MUCH more hidden facts to it.

علوش, I'm looking forward to your post.

December 02, 2008 3:35 PM

 
Anonymous Ayman said...

Interesting points, Yazan.

I think the interest in the Golan has something to do with the evolution of a "Syrian" identity.

It is shameful that we have done very little to relieve the suffering of the Golanis. We actually know very little about them. A lot of us for example, never heard about the uprooting of large prosperous communities of Circassian and Chechen Syrians from the Quneitra and other villages in 1967.

I am not sure who is to blame.

December 03, 2008 12:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

melodramatic, silly and pompous. The usual self infatuated you.

December 05, 2008 11:31 PM

 
Anonymous Beautiful Haifa, IL said...

The Golan isn't an issue. Syria lost that land by attacking a sovereign state and Israel gained that prize in a *defensive* war. There is nothing to talk about. The Golan is part of Israel proper. The reason the Syrian government is making this an issue is obvious and clear as day. Syria wants not only wants access to the freshwaters of Lake Kinneret again (as water is a huge crisis in our region), but also to divert attention from the severe drought the country is facing and as a result hundreds of thousands of farmers have been displaced. The diversion tactic is a common tactic employed by leaders whose population is stirring. And we all know people in Syria aren't exactly the happiest of the bunch. The best thing for Syria to do is to renounce its poisonous relationship with Iran and disengage from Lebanon. Then we can all sit down to tea, smoke nargila, and play backgammon.
shtooyot@hotmail.com

March 20, 2010 7:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home