"To the impartial eye, the world not only seems an unlikely one-off phenomenon, but a constant strain on reason. If reason exists, that is, if a neutral reason exists. So speaks the voice from within. So speaks Joker's voice." - Jostein Gaarder

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The World

China: 12,000 dead and counting in a 7.8 earth quake.

Burma: The Burmese government still rejecting aid while the death toll still rises from initial reports of 100,000. [I'm sure someone will come to their defense, I mean, I'm sure they are a victim of a biased western media, just because of their righteous anti-western policies, No?]

Meanwhile in Lebanon, Bush offers to extend help to the army so it can disarm Hizbulla [Reads: If you guys still need any help dragging yourself to full blown civil war, we'd be more than glad to help].

And personally, I refuse to be drawn into a game of "Either this, or that...", it is not either Hariri or Nasrallah, just like it's not either Assad or Bush. I'm very sorry for those marching armies of color-blind people.

5 Comments:

Blogger Wassim said...

If not this or that, then what?

May 14, 2008 1:06 AM

 
Blogger abufares said...

You know how much I hate politics. Still, my least favorite subject in the entire world is specifically Lebanese politics. It's, in essence, a concentrated dose of the accumulated bullshit of the entire world.
It's not whether I agree with you or don't. As a matter of fact, I don't know the answer to that question myself. All I can say is that I'm such a firm believer that anyone who agrees with the US foreign policy is by definition a person with total disregard to human values.
Am I siding with the lesser of the two evils? I might be.

On another note, I changed the ending of my last post after reading your comment. Thank you for making me feel better :-)

May 14, 2008 2:27 AM

 
Blogger sasa said...

Thank you Yazan. We don't have to blindly support either of these idiots. And we don't have to support this violence just because we support the Opposition or March 14. It's a shame some (Lebanese) bloggers haven't realised that yet. Maybe that's why they're going to war...again.

May 14, 2008 6:33 AM

 
Blogger Lady Nomadica said...

"if not this or that, then what?"

is exactly what America wants the world to believe. In essence "you are either with us or against us"- a true Bush-ism. Reminds me of a joke about a tribal leader in an Arabic country who said “we enforce democracy! When a boy proposes to my daughter I tell her “either your cousin or the grave””- hardly viable choices! Similar are these US set ultimatums. Isn’t what is happening in Iraq enough to render the point? I don’t think that we have to choose between Hizbullah and the USA, and I absolutely refuse to fall into such a boxed thinking schema.

I also don't believe in hating politics while loving people. When war is part of your life, the politics of it are as well and other saying that they don't like politics is often an unintentional runaway from addressing the suffering of innocent individuals. It’s vital to continuously look at the big and smaller picture- that is how the picture completes…

May 17, 2008 2:38 PM

 
Blogger annie said...

Peter Symonds wrote an interesting piece explaining why he understood the Burmese refusal
http://www.globalresearch.ca/
index.php?context=va&aid=8946
"The decision of the Burmese junta to selectively accept aid from sympathetic countries such as China, India and Thailand, and not the US, is hardly surprising. The Bush administration has made little secret of the fact that it favours “regime change” in Burma—the removal of the military regime and its replacement by a government, headed by opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, more amenable to Washington’s interests and to opening up the country to foreign investors."

May 20, 2008 10:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home