"To the impartial eye, the world not only seems an unlikely one-off phenomenon, but a constant strain on reason. If reason exists, that is, if a neutral reason exists. So speaks the voice from within. So speaks Joker's voice." - Jostein Gaarder

Friday, February 02, 2007

I'm an Atheist Moslem

I'm an atheist; I don't believe in God, I don't believe in his existence in any materialistic or spiritual way. Yet, I acknowledge the probability of his existence. My belief is my own personal opinion about those 2 probabilities.

I believe in the big boom, and I believe that we don't know a lot of stuff, but that doesn't "necessarily" mean that it's supernatural. It might, It might not. I feel [through experience, life, readings, and way of thinking, as ME] more for the "Might not" option. Very simple.

I believe in trial and error, I believe in proofs. I don't believe in Myths. Although i enjoy reading them, immensely. I enjoyed reading the bible, just as I enjoyed reading Greek and Nordic mythology.

I believe that, even in case God turned out to be a real thing, in any of the old, or new forms, whether the Sun was God, or whether Jesus was the son of God, or whether God was merely light... No God has the right to question my decision to stay honest to what I feel inside, and what I sense outside... and that is exactly what I'm doing.

Yet,
I, too, consider myself Moslem. I was born to a Moslem family [My Grandfather, his father, his grandfather... were very important religious figures in their sect, although my father turned Marxist, that doesn't change the fact that everyone else in the family is deeply religious], I've lived in a country with an overwhelming majority of Moslems, albeit, most are moderate, but still.. I practiced a lot of the social traditions, I celebrate Eid, I enjoy the culture, I enjoy reading Quran, I enjoy the History, I feel proud to belong to such history. I enjoy a lot of the traditions.

I know very well that I've read about Islamic History more than half of whom they claim themselves as the "Protectors" of this religion.

I am a member of this civilization. I am a member of this culture, I'm not a member of this religion [Islam], but no one, has the right to say I'm not a Moslem. because, Islam, is also a cultural identity.

The Islamic Civilization at its Height, was not only made by Moslems... there were Christians, Jews, Atheists... two of my favorite poets, and probably of the most famous Arab poets in history, are Abu Nawas and Abu al-'Ala' al-Ma'arry. Who are well known Atheists... in the modern sense of the word.

So, yes, I am proud of belonging to this culture, a culture that reached its height by opening up to all currents of thinking.

I might understand, why a Japanese person, with his own mindset, and his stereotypes might not understand that.

But, why is it so hard for us?

16 Comments:

Blogger abufares said...

It's not hard to understand at all. I might not agree with you but this is beyond the point. Every civilization, every culture, need diversification and an abundance of interpretations. I'd rather have a discussion with you than with someone whom I agre with but had closed the door to everything beyond his regimented ideology, policial, social or religious.
I repeat myself... Not agreeing with you could only make things more interesting and much more fun.

February 03, 2007 1:34 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post. I might add that it sounds like you are more of an Agnostic than a Atheist. Agnostics are not religious people but still leave room for the idea of a God, whereas Atheists do NOT believe in any god what so ever.

February 03, 2007 4:54 AM

 
Anonymous Sabeur said...

I respect your way of thinking, wont you keep gutted when your in Hell?

take an example you in a boat which is about to sinking and you hope to be saved, who do you ask if there is no one around, hoping is god.

You can say you don't belive in Him/Her/it but deep inside you know you can do anything with God.

By the way - i respect your thinking and if i wasn't Muslim and there was never Islam i will be thinking the same way.

February 03, 2007 7:00 AM

 
Blogger Mirzade said...

taniiiiiiiiiiii...??
not bad
but u know me!!
Maya

February 04, 2007 4:57 AM

 
Blogger Omar said...

I agree with the first half of your post particularly that just we can't explain something it doesn't mean that it's supernatural, and that you label your self as "an athiest Muslim". Although I totally understand why people may not understand where you come from.

The cultural definition of a Muslim is one who practices Islam, at least as far I know, and a major part of practicing Islam is believing in god.

For instance, if there was a denomenation in Islam that was referred to as "Muslim Atheist" then you would belong to that group of ppl, and most won't question your belonging to that group.

At the end of the day ppl are classified based on culturally accepted definitions, and so far we don't have a definition that deals with Muslims who don't believe in god. Until we find a definition, you cannot define your self as a Muslim and expect ppl to accept your definition

February 04, 2007 5:34 AM

 
Blogger Celal Birader said...

Islam is the No.1 vehicle for Arab nationalism.

February 10, 2007 11:32 PM

 
Anonymous purse said...

Hi! I've been reading your blog from the beginning..Thank you for your wonderful work! Keep up the good work.

February 11, 2007 8:36 PM

 
Anonymous Roba said...

A little belated, but this one of my favorite posts EVER written by anyone.

February 14, 2007 2:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is said, in a fox hole (you know, the hole they use to hide in a battlefield : see "Band of Brothers") there is no atheist.

When we face what we perceive would be the most dangerous thing in the world, and that we don't have anywhere to run, nor to save ourselves, then suddenly we realize we need Divine protection (assuming we still care for our well being).

Ain't we human something? :)

February 14, 2007 1:10 PM

 
Blogger Leafless Eve said...

Glad to know there are more of us out there :)

February 28, 2007 4:54 AM

 
Blogger Leafless Eve said...

Since u like Woody Allen:

"Not only is there no God, but try finding a plumber on Sunday."
- Woody Allen

February 28, 2007 5:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought you'd blog about it..
:)
you said you identified yourself as being human...having different thoughts, opinions and beliefs only emphasizes that we think and decide for ourselves as individuals.. we don't need to appove of or agree on everything!
it's not about the either of us being being scared or threatened...
what would the world be like if we all agreed on everything??

sorry if i upset you..

M

March 05, 2007 6:33 AM

 
Blogger Yazan said...

first of all maya u never upset me,

2nd of all, I never asked for people to agree with me, I am just asking for them to accept me the way I am, not because they're giving me a favor but because Its my right to think and live and decide my belongings.

March 05, 2007 2:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting , Islam is a culture!!!! Yes you can say in one of its forms , but do not make it ALL is a culture. Say you believe only in it as a culture.
May be it is late to post a comment put I was searching for something and Google brought me to read ur post.
I do respect that you still call yourself "Muslim" and I feel how much you are proud to call yourself like this. Actually the question is not who I am or what I am. I can call my self Christan but what I will say to some one who will ask me what you have done to Christianity. The same what you have done for "Islam".
In my point of view you are saying this to make a step in advance not to let the people ask you that question. But notice the problem is not in the people, it is inside yourself.
You want more , calling yourself Muslim is a kind of contradiction , why?? "Muslim" means you are belong to Islam . What does Islam mean, you are Arab and you can search what does this word mean. Most important , who was the first Muslim , and what he did to called a Muslim. It is ALL about GOD man!!!!
I am sorry for my comment, but you know what, I got bored of you Arab. You want to prove yourself by anything , but not being a true Muslims. You have a great civilization in which Islam was a major activator. You said it. I have seen many of you all over the world. Thanks " God" that I met some good guys in the beginning, they taught me Arabic , at that time I understood many many things about ur region, ur way of thinking. Later I saw different people and different way f thinking. Imagine people loves USA, Israel just because they hate their presidents. They hate God, Prophets and keep saying the F word trying to convince themselves that they are free persons. From what I do not have an idea.
You really no nothing about your society and your traditions , Sorry to say you do not even deserve it, not even deserve any of the three religions , any of the prophets. OR the people now not the old people to whom GOD sent the prophets do not deserve them. And no wonder if GOD stops sending any more prophets because of you Arabs.


Sorry for my late long post, see u in other chance.

Ma'salama

March 30, 2007 2:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, you are just another loser mate!!??
I do understand why would such a sick guy like you say such a thing but I've got a problem in here...my name is Yazan as well and I therefore will proudly change my name to Jesus or mohammed.Secondly it matters not if you're saying that you are muslem or whatever cuz simply YOU ARE THE POOREST EXCUSE FOR A HUMAN.

Thank you for wasting my time with your craps.

April 13, 2007 7:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess that you are not an atheist
you are an ASSeist! inta 6an6 imrakib jan6 ya tonjrah

June 16, 2007 6:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home