"To the impartial eye, the world not only seems an unlikely one-off phenomenon, but a constant strain on reason. If reason exists, that is, if a neutral reason exists. So speaks the voice from within. So speaks Joker's voice." - Jostein Gaarder

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Chronicles of Syrian Expats

It opens ur eyes wide, to things u never thought of, to facts that u always believed they'd be right there. It takes away solid ground and replaces it with sands that pull u down, it takes away ur serenity and replaces it with noises, just as it takes away that noise that used to be ur music and replaces it with thick silence. It pulls deeper, deep down, through ur brain, to ur heart. It makes u see more clearly, but more cruelly...

These are the jottings of people, although they never saw me, while writing themselves they were crying my heart through...

Omar's Deconstructed Life
I am going through a period of refusal these days.. refusing any imposed concepts and ideas..refusing what's generally referred to as the "general rules".... I have lived my life following rules I don't believe in.. now, I just can't do it anymore... we only have a few dozens of years on this eath.. how many of them will we spend working hard to please other people.. even if those people are complete strangers?

Ihsan's Thoughts And Notes
It was because he knew that one day, I will stop feeling his presence…I will stop remembering him before going to bed, I will stop going to the cemetery to pay him my usual visit that didn't stop until recently. He knew it all, he closed his eyes for the last time, knowing that I will forget about him.

Abu Fares's Tartoussi World
I tossed in bed for an hour or two. Deep inside, I knew that this is decision time. There was a right turn and there was a left turn. There wasn’t any straight road ahead. The last time I took a left turn was two years earlier, when I decided to stay in the United States and work there. Another left turn was much more complicated this time. I had no idea how many years would pass, if ever, before I would even consider asking the question again: “Why don’t I go back home?” I was making my way to the crest of the wave of my advancing career. The further I would climb the tougher it would be to stop, retrace my steps and make that right turn and head back to Tartous. Too much was at stake. Like an athlete contemplating an early retirement while still ahead, I made up my mind and slept very well after all.

The only things in common, is the after-taste, the bitter after-taste of these words...

We owe it to the school of "Gherbe" as my Friend in the Far East put it in his comment...

A toast to this school of Gherbe...

A toast, to Omar, Ihsan, to Me, and most of all, to Abu Fares...

A toast to those damn turns, and a toast to any push into any turn, instead of staring at ur spot...

3 Comments:

Blogger abufares said...

Come on Yazan, shake it out of your system.
Hurry up, get your ass over here. We have some serious drinking to do.
Thank you for always saying what's in your heart. That's truly refreshing.

October 08, 2006 3:23 AM

 
Blogger Yazan said...

That's what I'm doig abu fares, only writing it out will take it off my back...

As for the serious drinking, Ai-Ai-Sir, Serious Drinking it will be.

October 08, 2006 3:50 AM

 
Blogger [ j i m m y ] said...

i see myself in this post. and in every post of yours.

keep it up yazan.

October 13, 2006 1:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home