"To the impartial eye, the world not only seems an unlikely one-off phenomenon, but a constant strain on reason. If reason exists, that is, if a neutral reason exists. So speaks the voice from within. So speaks Joker's voice." - Jostein Gaarder

Friday, September 15, 2006

Your Pontif, Go Read More History

I Really, Honestly dont care what he said about Muhammed, the Profit, I'm not here to defend him, I'm not in a position that allows me to, and I personally find way more fundmental illnesses in the Message of Islam and Religions as a whole to actually get into that...

BUT,

I've stated so many times that I'm not religious. but, I'm sociologically, culturally a muslim, I belong to this culture, I celebrate lots of its traditions, I enjoy the atmospheres of Ramadan, I enjoy so many aspects of it, and indulge myself in a lot more... I'm proud to be a part of that history with all its faults and bloodsheds, because I know that it gave the world Granada, Damascus, Baghdad, Cairo, and some of the most beautiful literature ever written... It's not the "Religion" that did that, it's the "Culture"... and not just the culture of Islam for that matter, Islam and Arabic Language was the big pot where all the people who needed shelter, who needed someone to publish their books, all the way from China to Southern France... I'm proud of being at the very Center of some of the brightest stops of that Culture.

And that's what's so disgusting in the Pontif's speach... It's amazing how the human memory works,

Sir, with all do respect to everything you represent, but "Your" God has way more blood on its hands... not that it matters, that's just a part of religions, not just religons, Ideologies as whole, are one big hole of blood, repression... along with other things, good and bad, that "define" US as Humans, and I'm getting a whole different thing here.. so back to History.

Maybe you should read more into History...
...Meanwhile, a plague (perhaps typhus) broke out, killing many, including the legate Adhemar. There were now even fewer horses than before, and Muslim peasants refused to give them food. In December, the capture of the Arab town of Ma'arrat al-Numan took place, and with it the first known incident of cannibalism by the crusaders...
Holy Wars, has been fought in the name of every single thing, good and bad... Religion, God, Communism, Civilization, Land and Freedom... aren't these all Holy Wars!

7 Comments:

Blogger Shady Zayat said...

"Holy Wars, has been fought in the name of every single thing, good and bad... Religion, God, Communism, Civilization, Land and Freedom".

And since religion is a work under developement, just like any other human doctrine, the church is currently alienating itself from this kind of violence and so should Islam do.
Frankly, the catholic church was one of the most couragous religious authorities out there to stand firm admitting it's own pitfalls, against it's own crimes.

So take it easy on the pope, yazan.

September 15, 2006 11:39 PM

 
Blogger Zaher said...

@ shady
excuse me how can he take it easy on the "Pope"

i'm not with or against any religion but i don't consider catholicism as one . because it's simply just a political institute that controls peoples beliefs and limits it within one place they call it church.

"Frankly, the catholic church was one of the most couragous religious authorities out there to stand firm admitting it's own pitfalls, against it's own crimes."

The church didn't apologise for the crimes committed during the Crusades

so sorry once again but when it comes to the ability of developing religions the church is the last place to do that.

September 16, 2006 7:23 AM

 
Blogger Shady Zayat said...

@Zaher:
"... we cannot fail to recognize the infidelities to the Gospel committed by some of our brethren, especially during the second millennium. Let us ask pardon for the divisions which have occurred among Christians, for the violence some have used in the service of the truth and for the distrustful and hostile attitudes sometimes taken towards the followers of other religions..."
John Paul II
Sunday, 12 March 2000

I'm not saying the church is the most democratic institution ever, I can't deny the fact that it has played a destructive political role in the past and that it tried to control peoples thoughts, albeit it's changing! Huge steps has been made regarding its role, its interpretation of the Christian faith, its look to other religions and to personal liberties.

Now I'm not Mr. Prayer, I'm not even convinced of the existence of god - though I'm not sure he doesn't exist - but I have quite a good insight into Christian faith, and yes, believe it or not, It has developed.

What I hate the most about this kind of debate is that we tend to attack someone on some historical mistakes that he himself is aware of and has publicly rejected, without even considering his actual point of view.

I've wrote something on the issue, check it out here.

September 16, 2006 8:40 AM

 
Blogger annie said...

Yazan, I have loved your comment.
I was born into a catholic family, so I did not choose at birth but I refuse with everything I have, this stupid, ignorant, aggressive pope.
It has been a long time anyway that I have put the middleman in a corner and that my agnostic relationship with God is a straightforward affair.

September 22, 2006 4:34 AM

 
Blogger Yazan said...

Annie, thank you..

and on a side, u donno how much seeing ur comments on this blog excite me.
Thank you, I hope we'll have a chance to meet again.

September 22, 2006 6:08 PM

 
Blogger dragon51188 said...

I would say that yes, the general theory of religion is a good thing, "Be excellent to each other," to put it in the words of Bill and Ted. Sadly, though, religion in practice is prone to corruption by politics because there is no way to prove that what politicians change about a religion is wrong. Religion has passed through so many hands it's impossible to tell what was changed to suit any given person's political agenda. You just have to do what you know is good for the world.

September 30, 2006 2:38 AM

 
Blogger waiting for the barbarians said...

An excellent post. I found the whole situation rather surreal - I mean, the pope was a Nazi anti-aircraft gunner in his youth and is now the head of an organisation responsible for the Inquisition, the crusades, and the burning and drowning of thousands of women as witches - an organisation which sanctioned the genocide of the native Americans and which tacitly colluded with the holocaust perpetrated by the Nazis. And he has the nerve to call other religions evil!!

October 17, 2006 3:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home