"To the impartial eye, the world not only seems an unlikely one-off phenomenon, but a constant strain on reason. If reason exists, that is, if a neutral reason exists. So speaks the voice from within. So speaks Joker's voice." - Jostein Gaarder

Friday, October 21, 2005

What Happened?!

Aleppo, Amazing city... I first came to "Admire" this city through Amin Maalouf's "The Crusades Through Arab Eyes", a very vibrant history [Typical in this land of Syria], baring most of the old civilizations in this planet...
Yesterday I had my first tour there, the Citadel, Souks, Jabri Square, Hotel Baron, The Churhces of the 40 Martyrs, Omayyad Mosque... all of these stuff that make aleppo such a special place... the diversity of the population in this city, Armenians, Kurds, Assyrians, Turkmen and Arabs...
Modern Aleppo is nothing but a glimpse of the past... an inside look is enough to change all that, is enough to stir all kind of bitter emotions, I got my inside look from a very special someone that I have to thank!! thanks Ania! thanx for the tour, thanx for the info and thanx just for being u!!!
While we were strolling through the city, thoughts didn't make much sense, maybe it was the charming company that kept me smiling!! but on my way back to latakia, thinking about this... about a society that once was diverse, a country with a global sense of belonging, and how it's more like torn apart now... Armenians, Christians, Sunnis, Alawites, Kurds, Turkmen, Arabs.... everyone's living his own prallel life... inside the tightly closed circle of the sect/ethnicity... just a bunch of Ghettos living close to eachother... and the only interaction is assaulting others' personal freedom!!!
it's sad, it's just so sad!
and to know that aleppo isn't the only place in syria like that is even sadder!!! to know that Syria as we know it is now a majority and minority ghettos!!! it's just sad...

How did we get to this point?!
I mean, Syria has always been under the reign of the world's great empires, Egyptians, Assyrians, Romans, Byzantines, Arabs, Ottomans... but it never.. not once, never lost its identity.. it was always Syria.. and its ppl were always SYRIANS... they weren't "Egyptian Syrians", they weren't "Roman Syrians" and definitley not "Arab Syrians", we were always Syrians... Syria was always the refuge for anyone and everyone... and with no time refugees become Syrians, it doesn't mean that they lose their own culture or identity, no this identity becomes a part of Syria as a region and as an Identity of itself... It becomes a part of Syria, just as they become a part of Syrians, the flexibility of the concept of Syria [in my opinion] was the key element for the creativity that's flourished in this area, way before Arabs, Romans, Phoenicians...
Globalization started here!!!

Where are we now?!! nor Kurds nor Armenians feel the least Syrians, cuz the identity was manipulated into Arab Syrians... they're not Arab syrians... in the Syria that I was talking about, they won't even be Armenian Syrians nor Kurd Syrians, they would simply be Syrians, because Kurdish and Armenian culture and heritage would become a part of this culture and heritage of Syria! now after 90 years of Armenian refuge to Syria, they're not a part of the country, they're like foriegn investors living here... Kurds can't feel like they belong here, how can they when their language is prohibited?! I'm not politically speaking here!! I donno who's to blame for this!! Ottomans maybe?! 400 years of closness could turn the most open and creative mind into dust... I donno

Christians are being set aside when talking about the Islmaic heritage of Syria... about an Islamic Syria, [I know I believe in the rule of Majority, and I will always abide by it, but that doesn't mean that I won't fight fiercly for my beliefes], why can't it be just Syria, SYRIA with the combination of all these elements, Islamic, Christian, Roman, Helnistic, Phoenician... why do we want to tighten this Syrian Identity into a closed sect or religion,
Assad Syria... or Alawite Syria?! how did we even end up into this mess...
Being indulgence with minorities is not enough, is nothing really... cuz at most that'll make them feel safe, but it won't make them feel like they belong... While, they do, this is Syria.. ANYONE and EVERYONE belongs here!

We can re-create our own Syrian identity, the flxible open one... the once-was Global Syrian Identity... With the size of Syria!! it's our only way to be global again, we're not rich on oil, we're not a major power... we're just rich on diversity, we've got so many elements living here we can make a brand new world!!!

This is not SYRIA... this is a land of clans and ghettos...
I know this is just utopic, but I can't help it... I am a perfectionist. but u know what! it once was like this, we have the means to do it again, we just need the will, we're Syrians, we can do anything, we created GODS, and we detroyed GODS!!! we can do ANYTHING!

I'm Sorry if in anyway I offended anybody... Arabs, Sunnis, Armenians, Kurds, Alawites, Assyrians, Christians...!!!
I can not make u feel more Syrian, that's up to u!!!

Individuals are the pioneers for change... it's something I believe in...
I can not say that they can change everything, but they can make a difference... anybody that believes in such a Syria, raise ur hand plz..!! raise it high above!! and start making a difference!

I had these thoughts in my head for a while, but I needed a reason, a trigger to put them in order... Aleppo, and in particular this 2hrs tour, that was my trigger!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wellllll, 1st i read it, then i read it, then i read it again, then i saved a copy ! ... so i can read it anytime ! AMAZING ! nobody could this better than u, u have to get in this branch boy ! ur awesome, u really made me think bout some-stuff!...rather if u believe in god or not ..GOD BLESS U !
ur ANIA !

October 22, 2005 5:13 AM

 
Blogger Sinan said...

I am with you in all you've said so I raize my hand along with yours.. Let's make Syria a better place to live.

October 22, 2005 8:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alep...la grande ville qui inspire

October 25, 2005 1:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful writing, bravo..

October 31, 2005 2:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home