"To the impartial eye, the world not only seems an unlikely one-off phenomenon, but a constant strain on reason. If reason exists, that is, if a neutral reason exists. So speaks the voice from within. So speaks Joker's voice." - Jostein Gaarder

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Coups in Syria

The military coup in Muritania.. has intigued me into looking closely at our own history of military coups..
here's a short list of those..

After several years of french-based democratic parliamentry practice (1946 - 1949) the first coup took place

-March 30,1949 Husni Al-Zaim... He only lasted 4 and a half months...
-August 14, 1949 Sami Al-Hennawi... He appointed Hashim Atassi as a President in December 14th.
-December 19, 1949 Adeeb Al-Shishakly... He kept H. Atassi as a President, while keeping the real power into his hands..
-December 2, 1951 Atassi resigns, the next day Shishakly appoints Fawzi Selow.
-August 10, 1953 Shishakly appoints himself president after a [Referendum].
-February 25, 1954 Restlessness inside the army forces Shishakly to flee syria.
-1958 A group of Baathi and Nassri army officers overstepped the government [Shukri Qouatly-President, Sabri Assali-PM, Khaled Azem-Defence Minister... had exactly no idea of this meeting] and went to egypt to have talks with Gamal Abdul Nasser for an instant full Unity..
-September 28, 1961 Abdul Karim Nahlawi leads a military coup that broke the United Arab Republic, and reannounced Syrian Arab Republic..
-March 28, 1962 A military coup that replaced the government...
-March 8, 1963 The most-famous coup that got Baath party into power unitl this day...
-July 18, 1963 A Failing coup by the Nassris [lead by Jasim Alwan] that resulted in a massacre, 30 high-ranked officers were executed.
-February 23, 1966 a military coup inside the Baathi military institution... that brought Baathi hardliners into power.
-September 8, 1966 A failing coup attempt by Salim Hatoum.
-November 16, 1970 Another coup lead by Hafez Assad [which was considered a moderate inside Baathists], resulted in appointing him a president a year later by a referendum.. he stayed as the president of the S.A.R. until his death in 2000.. and was succeeded by his sun, Dr. Baschar al-Assad...

The last one lasted through a lot of coup attempts, Muslim Brotherhood 1982, Rifaat Assad in the 80s...

After such a bloody history, one would think that the best period in Syria's modern history was the French Mandate... unfortunatly!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(It starts with)
One thing / I don’t know why
It doesn’t even matter how hard you try
Keep that in mind / I designed this rhyme
To explain in due time
All I know
time is a valuable thing
Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
Watch it count down to the end of the day
The clock ticks life away
It’s so unreal
Didn’t look out below
Watch the time go right out the window
Trying to hold on / but didn’t even know
Wasted it all just to
Watch you go
I kept everything inside and even though I tried / it all fell apart
What it meant to me / will eventually / be a memory / of a time when I tried
so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
One thing / I don’t know why
It doesn’t even matter how hard you try
Keep that in mind / I designed this rhyme
To remind myself how
I tried so hard
In spite of the way you were mocking me
Acting like I was part of your property
Remembering all the times you fought with me
I’m surprised it got so (far)
Things aren’t the way they were before
You wouldn’t even recognize me anymore
Not that you knew me back then
But it all comes back to me
In the end
You kept everything inside and even though I tried / it all fell apart
What it meant to me / will eventually / be a memory / of a time when I
I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn’t even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn’t even matter
I've put my trust in you
Pushed as far as I can go
For all this
There’s only one thing you should know
I've put my trust in you
Pushed as far as I can go
For all this
There’s only one thing you should know
I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn’t even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn’t even matter

August 04, 2005 9:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home