"To the impartial eye, the world not only seems an unlikely one-off phenomenon, but a constant strain on reason. If reason exists, that is, if a neutral reason exists. So speaks the voice from within. So speaks Joker's voice." - Jostein Gaarder

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Holly Book or Civil Law?!

In response to Stellar's comment on my last post on the "Protect Hijab" campaign... and her follow-up articles about the same subject.. [find them @ Stellar's Rollercoaster Journey]


Well, I'm quite familiar with Islam stellar, hehe... I'm muslem myself.. or at least born muslem and have been living within a society with a vast majority of muslems... ;)

I can see now that we have quite different coordinations regarding this particular subject... or let's say different prioroties..

I'm not gonna be debating about the obligation of Hijab... that's not the point (to me)... the point is which comes fist?! Quran? or Civil Law?!
for me civil law is much more hollier and important than any holly book, and that's for the exact same reason u take Quran as much more important... civil law is written by man! Quran is not...

Me, I don't consider myself religious in any way... I consider myself a human being.. belonging to a very creative species... That's why I respect civil law...

let me give ya this example.. My mom doesn't wear Hijab, but yet she's now working in Saudi Arabia.. and she is obligated by LAW to wear Hijab.. she does... and she's totally OK with that...
As long as the Saudi community [I have my reservation about this, but this a general example] is content with this law, it is much more important than any other obligation...same goes for France..

btw, France is the 2nd oldest republic in history and one of the oldest modern democracies on the planet... so I don't think it's that easy to go denying their democracy... based on individual events...

I respect ur obligations the way interpret them, I respect them to the limit... that limit is the state law..... The civil law is the one that sets ur Rights and Duties in modern societies... if the majority feels that the Quran is the best source for this law, then be it... if not... well..?! u tell me..?!

Another issue, who's to say that ur islam is the right one.. who's to say that ur islam is much more perfect than that of Bin Laden's, who's to say that Catholics in the 1400s are more rightous than those of the 2000s...?! religion is how u interpret it.. there isn't ONE right version... and no one can tell witch is better... Religion is a very abstract concept... Humans have the duty to interpret that concept the way they want... that's how I see this.... no one has the whole truth... I strongly believe in this fact...

Plus, I'm not religious, but I'm not anti-religion.. I don't see myself in any religion, yet I don't disrespect any of em... in light of that, I see this ban as a favor for Islam as culture and as a religion... it's a shock.. to wake this giant from a long sleep... religions are much more dynamic than we think, they do evolve... they NEED to evolve... Islam needs this kind of electricity to start evloving again...

600 years ago Islam was the leading religion when it came to openess and liberality compared to other religions at that time... now it is fallen behind in this race... It hasn't evolved a bit since the fall of Cordoba... and as a person who's proud to belong to such culture and history, even though I don't believe in some aspects of it, I see this in a very optimistic way...


My point is... for me, Mankind created Zeus and Afrodite... and Mankind destroyed their myth... that's how strong we are... and that's how creative we are... Mankind is God's spirit or even (for me, God himself)... so, the law that a certain community agrees on is much more important than any other law....

P.S.: I don't mean to offend any religion or any belief, and if I did, then I am very sorry about it.. and it wasn't on purpose for sure...
P.S.2: All these thoughts are my own point of views, they might be wrong and they might be right... I'm not saying that I KNOW, I'm saying that this is what I persoanlly BELIEVE is right!



cheers

12 Comments:

Blogger Sou said...

Your blog is so diverse F.B. keep up the superb work hun! :D

(thanx for adding me to the blog links you've got! yay!) hehehe...

June 13, 2005 10:02 AM

 
Blogger Yazan said...

well... *trying to not look SOOOOOOO thrilled*.. I'm thrilled..!!! thx...

lovely blog urself.. ;)

June 13, 2005 2:42 PM

 
Blogger Stellar said...

Anything that brings true peace on earth and unto people's mind is right. Allah is the most loving and wouldn't set "Islamic civil laws" (Sharee3a) that aren't just for his creation. Who are we to say, that we can come up with better Laws? Anyways, that's another point.

Why should hijab be against France's civil law?? Why should the french goverment not allow women to follow that law/obligation/command in Islam? What difference does it make to them? What harm is it?

Plus, the thing is I mentioned are just stories of people I know personally. There are a lot more stories going on... I just think this mockery has to stop because it is offending the right to follow one's personal choice of following the Islamic law that doesn't harm anybody. If it's not a big a big deal in Europe itself then why are there MEP who are helping this cause?

June 13, 2005 3:06 PM

 
Blogger Baher said...

I completely agree with stellar.

I believe in laws, and that's what Islam is all about, it's a complete set of laws written by god to govern people's lives.

Hijab is not a symbol, it's an obligation like praying, god did'nt order christians to wear crosses.

AS a independant state they can enforce whatever laws they want we can't change that, but there's also the people's right to fight for their freedom and their beliefs.

I'm not enforcing anything on you, I just hope you understand my viewpoint.

BTW. very cool blog you have, keep it up.

June 13, 2005 6:23 PM

 
Blogger Yazan said...

@stellar... who are we?! we are Mankind.. that's my answer... and to me, LIFE is more important than anything else... it's more sacred than anything... and I can't agree with a set of laws that suggest a death penalty (for any kind of crime, Taking life from a person isn't a choice) one of the reasons I can't seem to get along with islam... that's why I like european civil law much more than american...!!
Why should Hijab be against French Laws?! because the frnech ppl (at least the VAST majority) wanted it to... simply!!

@diablo... exactly what I'm talking about diablo...
maybe I don't believe in Islam as a law, but I believe that the French ppl have made their choice.. now if u can fight in favor of ur point of view, and can get the 51% u need in the parliment and get the amendment.. I'm totally okay with that too...

I'm not against u fighting for ur right... and France is state where u CAN fight for ur ideas...

me, I was just saying how I (as an individual PERSON) feel about this law... I'm totally pro-banning religious symbols...

and Hijab is an obligation, great but u can't deny that it IS a symbol too...?!!!


and thx, for all of ya for ur responses...

June 13, 2005 7:03 PM

 
Blogger Sinan said...

I was preparing myself to write a long powerful comment but then I thought of it it won't do any good for two reasons Stellar and Baher has covered it all and the second reason you're as you say a human being, human beings are very hard to convince once they made up their mind and espcially if they find someone or someplace supporting them. But let me tell you something dear I am a French citizen and I saw what you think was democracy you see for you any form of democracy would be viewed as such for you, cause you never practiced one, as for the ban law I don't remember anyone asking me, my mom or anyone muslim or not and belive even Christian won't accepted it. Oh yeah to expand your knowlege too my dear the French government has acknowledged Christian, Judaism, Hindose, Sheikhs, and a lot of others religious as religions whose belivers has their rights, Islam is not on the list?? Democracy I dobt that??
And what good civil law is if there is some much exceptions and cases where it's not applied..
Dear we welcome open minded ppl but as long they don't justify unjustice.

June 13, 2005 7:39 PM

 
Blogger Yazan said...

@sinan, ditto to the first part... but the fact is I'm not here to win ppl over.. I'm not in a fight... at least not here... I'm just saying my thoughts out... that's why I created this blog... any comment is more than welcome... and any thought is well-respected... I don't mean to offend anybody and in-return I expect the same treatment... ;)
about that French law u said it didn't mention islam.. I have asked 2 lawyers, my french teacher + a relative that has a french citizenship too (that's a lot of phone calls!!!!! hehe) and they've all denied such thing.. and I've searhed the net for it, unfortunatly I didn't come up with anything referring to any religion in particular but rather referring to all of em as "Religions" and qouting from the French Constitution of October, 1957 "Preamble: On the morrow of the victory of the free peoples over the regimes that attempted to enslave and degrade the human person, the French people proclaim once more that every human being, without distinction as to race, religion or creed, possesses inalienable and sacred rights. They solemnly reaffirm the rights and freedoms of man and of the citizen ordained by the Declaration of Rights of 1789 and the fundamental principles recognized by the laws of the Republic." I'm not saying that there isn't such text, I'm saying that I couldn't find it... and until I do or if u can send it to me... I think i'm not gonna build on that...
+ I'm sure that u know that democracy isn't someone showing at ur doorstep to ask for ur approval.. I don't need to tell ya that ur vote is strength in a democratic system... only repressive dictatorships have approval rates of up to 99%, so in a healthy system there is gonna be a part of ppl that disagree with this or that and they have the right to fight for there ideas within the democratic framework of the state... and there was parlimentary elections after that controversy of the ban, and I think that if there was real objection from the french ppl we would've seen it in that parliment...
+ justice is a very relative concept... and I really don't wanna get into that... but if u ask me, open minded ppl are ALWAYS welcome here...

cheers...

June 14, 2005 12:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey front bumoer...I see you quoted some of stuff from amin maalouf's "les identites meurtriere" about religions being dynamic and that islam needs to start evolve again

June 14, 2005 2:35 AM

 
Blogger Yazan said...

exactly.. well, not qouted... but I'm very influenced by that book... and yeah, it changed a lot in me, maybe it widened my vision a little bit more... in fact I love every word he ever wrote... A. Maalouf... I wish I could've got full qoutes but I didn't get the english translation yet...

glad somebody took notice.... ;)

June 14, 2005 3:42 AM

 
Blogger Sinan said...

You know what may be you're right and may be I am each one of us has his own mind, I can still bring proofs for a hundred more years to prove my point and you'll do the same and none of us will change his mind I got that from a long experience of interacting with ARABS anyway you're a young kid full of life and at least you're using your mind :) I hope you'll use it to help Syria as well not as your likes who don't waste a chance to leave ;)

Cheers on your same way ;)

June 14, 2005 12:10 PM

 
Blogger Yazan said...

well... It's great that u feel that way...
I mean, despite how different we are as individuals we're gonna have to work together for the sole purpose of serving this country.. hopefully! ;)

June 15, 2005 3:02 AM

 
Anonymous hamada said...

We migrated to Canada almost 20 years ago... Was a kid back then an had a very simple understanding of the world. I must say it was nice, I mean as an Egyption we ruled. Of course that all changed once the plane landed and realized that it was all lies. Thats how I feel now reading all this. I didn't realize that when ppl talk about islamic reform it almost goes hand in hand with believing we as humans are GOD. I think on has to take a close look at history, Islamic civilization was at one point the centeral of the world. Leaders in every field. It was, I believe, because the muslims at that time weren't afraid to ask the tough questions and challenge existing intreptation. Somewhere between the peak of the Ummah and now, laws were introduced that simply set the laws in stone. This is when we entered our dark ages.

The sad thing is, we are all too busy getting our PHDs or picking nose ... we've put the Quran aside and follow the imam that preaches to our liking.

Today we are seeing the extremes of the Ummah with the majority of ummah lost in the battle. On one hand we see ppl who believe we need to abdnon/reform Islam and on the other we are seeing the Whabees' style destory all who disagree.

I personally believe the sol'n is far simplier... We need to go to the roots. Analyze the Quran and challenge the verses. Many verses in the Quran are only coming to light now (Scientifically speaking) other verses we have to have faith... Then again this is coming for someone who is unfortunetly a part time muslim ... Inshallah that will change.

Yazan, we need free thinkers, what tend to happens though, is that we look at the western civilzation and get blinded (just because we've been stuck in dark ages). We need the free thinkers within the realm of Islam to challenge the school of thought that has locked us in the 16 century. Which by the way must done so that ppl in power remain in power. It was done in the pretext of preventing introduction bid'aa...

Thats my 2 cents.

May Allah give us the strength and keep us on the right path

September 14, 2006 2:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home